Inside: Learn how to make this easy and delicious chicken curry recipe which the whole family will love!
Curry is a delicious type of food that starts with a flavorful sauce infused with a delicious spice blend. It is very traditional in Indian cuisine and can be sweet or spicy.
At our house, we usually go the sweeter route because that is easier with little kids, but I add some salsa as well sometimes to give it a little kick. This version is also know as coconut curry chicken because it includes a can of coconut milk or coconut cream which is part of what makes it creamy and a little bit sweet.
Some of the star ingredients of this creamy coconut chicken curry that are found in curry powder are cumin, ground cinnamon, and coriander. In addition, we wil use turmeric, paprika, and cardamon.
The combination of spices in this recipe is incredible and once you have made the curry, it goes great with naan bread, white rice or basmati rice (or you can replace it with cauliflower rice), or you can just enjoy it on its own!
This easy chicken curry recipe is easily one of my family’s favorites and it always has a place in our meal plan. Pretty much every time that I have made this for other people, someone will ask me for the recipe because of how much they love it. If this is your first time making this delicious dish, you are in for a treat.
This recipe is a great part of an anti-inflammatory diet because it is gluten-free and some of the spices are great at reducing inflammation, which I will explain more below.
What are some health benefits of using turmeric in this creamy chicken curry sauce?
Turmeric is a root that is ground down into a spice that can add coloring and flavor to many recipes. Besides that, it is also very nutritious and is often used to treat joint pain and inflammation. It can also be used to treat skin conditions, injuries, digestive illnesses, and liver conditions.
It can help improve skin pigmentation, cures acne, and can help fight against early aging.
It has many antioxidants which also help reduce inflammation in the joints, which are some additional benefits of this powerful spice!
When I make this yummy curry sauce, I like to add additional turmeric beyond what is already included in the traditional curry spice.
How do you make chicken curry?
There are many different types of curry. You can find japanese curry, thai chicken curry, and more. There is yellow curry, red curry, and of course this coconut curry that I am showing you today.
To start, you will need the following ingredients:
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon powder
- 2 tbsp dried parsley
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tbsp ground paprika
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp dried oregano
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 lb of boneless, skinless chicken breasts (you can also use skinless chicken thighs, bone-in chicken pieces, or even a whole chicken)
- 1/4 white onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 roma tomato, diced
- 1 cup of tomato sauce
- 1 can of coconut milk or coconut cream
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup chicken broth (optional)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
To make this recipe, start by cutting the chicken up into small pieces and cook it in a frying pan over medium-high heat with the olive oil, curry powder, onion, garlic cloves, and red pepper. After letting it cook until the chicken is starting to brown, add the rest of the spices from the ingredient list (don’t add the coconut sugar yet).
Let cook for about 4 minutes and then add the tomato sauce, coconut milk or cream, and the salt, pepper and sugar. Stir well and let simmer over low heat for 20-30 minutes.
This recipe is perfect to serve a lot of people and still tastes great the next day, if there happen to be any leftovers.
Let me know in the comments below how it turned out for you!
Creamy Coconut Chicken Curry
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1/4 white onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 red bell pepper diced
- 1 roma tomato diced
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 can coconut milk or coconut cream
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tbsp ground paprika
- 1 tbsp ground turmeric
- 2 tbsp oregano
- 1 tbsp cumin
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar you can use less if you prefer it less sweet
- 1/2 cup chicken broth optional
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Start by cutting the chicken up into small pieces and cook it in a frying pan over medium-high heat with the olive oil, curry powder, onion, tomatoes, garlic cloves, a1 lb boneless skinless chicken breastnd red pepper.1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, 1/4 white onion, 2 garlic cloves, 1/2 red bell pepper, 3 tbsp olive oil, 1 roma tomato
- After letting it cook until the chicken is starting to brown, add the rest of the spices from the ingredient list (don't add the coconut sugar yet).1 tbsp curry powder, 1 tbsp ground paprika, 1 tbsp ground turmeric, 2 tbsp oregano, 1 tbsp cumin, salt, pepper
- Let cook for about 4 minutes and then add the tomato sauce, chicken broth, coconut milk or cream, and the salt, pepper and sugar. Stir well and let simmer over low heat for 20-30 minutes.1 cup tomato sauce, 1 can coconut milk, 2 tbsp coconut sugar, 1/2 cup chicken broth
Hi, I’m Charbel!
I am a child of a loving Heavenly Father. A mother to four and wife to a marvelous husband. I am also a Lupus Fighter. I Love to cook. I love inspirational podcasts. I am also lover of all things creative and a fearless DIY-er. A Homebody. A wellness and Relaxation lover. Welcome to The Healing Cookbook! Read more...